Dealing with an accident in the workplace

All employers have a duty to protect their staff and inform you about health and safety issues around you.  We spend more time at work than anywhere else, so should all expect at some point to become ill or injured as a result of work.

You employer must do their utmost to keep these injuries and illnesses at bay.

Reporting an accident

Any serious work-related accident or incident must be reported to the Health and Safety Executive within your local authority. Things that must be reported include:

  • Disease
  • Major injuries like broken bones
  • Serious incidents like scaffolding collapse
  • Injuries that stop employees from doing their day to day roles
  • Death

The report must be put forth by your employer. If you were involved in the accident in anyway, ask that the incident as been reported.

Who is responsible for your health and safety?

As stated earlier, it is your employer’s duty to ensure you are safe within your work place. They must carry out regular risk assessments and put measures in place to ensure that you are not in any risk. They must consider things like what type of first aid items are required at your station, how many first aiders are required etc…

Recording injuries

You employer should own an ‘accident book’ in which all injuries, including minor ones, are recorded. This book will provide a reference should you need to make a claim later down the line, or if you need time off because of our injury. It also helps your employer to see where accidents are regularly occurring and put preventative measures in place.

Making a claim

If you have been injured at work, and you think your employer is at fault then you may be able to make a claim. Here at Attwood & Co we have helped hundreds of people successfully make a claim where they have been injured at work.

If you are considering making a claim then feel free to get in touch with us today.